Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Tales of a Cashier: An Experience of Working at Retail Stores


By : Jacob Malewitz

The job I have the most experience in is as a cashier. Cashier does the obvious things you might see them do in the department stores, but often a cashier is asked to do other duties. In this article, I will guide you through success as a cashier, like how to keep the job, and explain the advantages in working for retail stores.

I should foreword all this that being a cashier is a career we never set out for-for example I dreamed of being a writer-but is one where things like public relations and basic sales can be learned.
Rata Penuh
Getting the Job

Most cashiering jobs I've interviewed for I received. There is a simple strategy here: Dress up, speak clearly, talk of previous experience, and tell the boss of the goals you would try to achieve while working there. Consider this example: When I went to interview for a temp job (one lasting only a few months) I made sure to where a tie, explain my previous experience in the field of cashiering, and said I was interested in business as a career. Business was not my dream, but it can apply to just about anything. A Kohl's (A clothing store) job interview was one of the first where I employed this technique, and I waited less time before getting the job than ever. For those of you who don't have cashiering experience, the best time to volunteer is during the holiday months at most stores; they will give you a lot of hours to bag items, and it can lead into a steady job.

Learning

I learned from the outset at Kohl's to be polite with people. One time I was warned by my boss after refusing to give a woman a discount on an item; the lesson there would be to always give discounts if they are asked for in a department store. I practiced stocking the shelves, working on the computers, and was as cordial with my superiors as possible.

The Advantages

Just about any store will give you a discount on their items if you work for them. There is an unspoken rule that family shouldn't be allowed to use the discount, but rules that involve money are usually broken. A 15 percent discount can add up if say you need a new wardrobe, or perhaps sporting goods like tennis balls or sports shorts. If your girlfriend wants a new wardrobe, a discount can be $50 or more.

Keeping the Job

Once my temp job at Kohl's was up, I was let go. They just couldn't afford to keep another worker, and the holiday season was over. I took it hard-as I enjoyed the job-but I had gained valuable experience. I had made connections there that would allow me, if I desired, to get the job during the holiday season in the future. I could have kept the job had I not made a few mistakes like not giving that discount, or missing a day of work. I know this now, but I didn't think either was a big deal.

Using the experience

This job led into jobs that were more up my alley. I went into newspaper work at about the same time this job was up. I didn't have much experience, but there I was being published. I plan on using this cashiering experience in the future to add to my holiday season income; it is an idea worthy of study for those of us seeking holiday work

Job Vacancy , Indonesia Job , Job Indonesia


Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment